If we all put our cell phones away, between 2 pm and 6 pm, step out of our homes, and head out into our neighborhoods, we will have ONE CONTINUOUS PARTY all over San Diego! We can make it even more inviting with Balloons, Flags, "Welcome" Signs, Music for Dancing, serving Water & Treats, Contests, Social Games, etc. Below are some ways in which we can extend ourselves as "Good" Neighbors and create a FUN and memorable day:
(1) Take a leisurely stroll up and down your neighborhood (say within a 3-block radius of your home so you will mostly meet "nearby" neighbors). Greet everyone. Introduce yourself. Chat and get acquainted. Exchange Business cards/phone numbers to stay in touch. Gather neighbors to join you.
(2) Come hang out with us on the Georgia St Bridge between 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm. Everyone is invited! If you are able, bring: bubbles, treats, toys, business cards, or just your big smile.
(3) Wherever you live, you can also just sit on your front steps or driveway and greet pedestrians. Better yet, place some extra folding chairs near the sidewalk and invite passersby to rest and visit awhile. If any strollers are too far away to hear you, give them an enthusiastic wave and signal for them to come and join the celebration.
(4) If you have a garage in front of your home, you can open the garage door or use the parking area to invite passersby to visit...much like a garage sale...only on this day, the only product is friendship and good will!
(5) Go out and feed the homeless. "Listen" to their stories. Remember that many are people who lost their jobs, were injured due to wars, suffer from illness and depression, and are in need of compassion, not judgment. "But for the grace of God, there go I."