Why The Laity Matters | Alvino-Mario Fantini | A review of Cardinal Francis Arinze’s new book, The Layperson’s Distinctive Role.
Subsidiarity | James Kalb | Why is this basic principle of Catholic social teaching praised more than it is practiced?
St. John the Baptist, "angelic" guardian of Advent | Carl E. Olson | John the Baptist "stands tall and straight, ... a Voice resounding through the wilderness of the world, the desert of time."
A Convert's Roman Pilgrimage | Christopher White | On five days in Rome with 2,000 years of living history and 500 pages of learned guidance.
I Went to a Hockey Game...and the Faith Broke Out | David Paul Deavel | Alyssa Bormes explains the catechetical possibilities skating right by us in the rink of life.
The Bishops and Catholic Hospitals Under Fire | Carrie Gress | The president of the National Catholic Bioethics Center discusses the ACLU’s lawsuit against the US bishops over Catholic health care directives.
The Liturgy, Fifty Years after Sacrosanctum Concilium | CWR Staff | Dom Alcuin Reid reflects upon what the landmark document on the liturgy has meant for Catholic worship.
Traditional Liturgy Flourishing in the Bible Belt | Brian Mershon | A South Carolina parish demonstrates that reverent, beautiful liturgies--in the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms--are possible in a modern American parish.
Six Simple Ways to Nudge Conversions | Carrie Gress | Some practical, foundational practices for putting the Pope's message of evangelization into action.
Warming the Coldest Hearts | Nick Olszyk | Why Disney's Frozen is the year’s best family film.
Head of the SSPX sees a papal reset with Pope Francis | Michael J. Miller | Bishop Bernard Fellay, superior of the Society of St. Pius X, remarks on Pope Francis and Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: A Review | Meryl Amland | The middle entry in the popular trilogy further develops the themes of self-sacrifice and the fight against tyranny.
OTHER RECENT, POPULAR ARTICLES:
The Unbearable Frightness of Being | Patrick Coffin | How to account for the enduring popularity of The Exorcist, which features scenes that still shock viewers 40 years later?
Pope Francis and the Gospel of Joy | William L. Patenaude | The Pontiff’s apostolic exhortation is filled with warnings, encouragement, explanations, and challenges.
The Pope Emeritus and the Questioning Atheist | Fr. James V. Schall, S.J. | A recently released letter by Benedict XVI confronts several faulty premises of militant atheism.
Facing the Fallout of Artificial Reproductive Technologies | Carrie Gress | An interview with Jennifer Lahl, founder and president of the Center for Bioethics and Culture.
How A Subculture Brainwashed America | Thomas M. Doran | Let's pull back the curtain and have a good look at the Wizard; that is, if we still have eyes to see.
The Irreligiosity of Sir Ridley Scott | Connor Malloy | Despite his obvious disdain for organized religion, Ridley Scott keeps returning to religious themes in his films.
• Francis to theologians: Don’t confuse “sensus fidelium” with majority opinion
• Two nuns honored for hiding Jewish families in WWII
• Fr. Edward T. Oakes, SJ, Requiescat in pace
• St. Nicholas the Wonderworker—bringing presents, punching heretics
• Pope Francis to create commission for the protection of minors
• Blessed Statistics: The “Francis Effect”
• New Book on China’s Saints Published in Chinese
• Supreme Court agrees to hear HHS mandate challenges
• Immaculate Mary, Matchless in Grace
• Archbishop Fulton Sheen on Advent and Eternity
• "The Mass of Vatican II" by Fr. Joseph Fessio, SJ
• A Selection From Book Four of "Set All Afire: A Novel about Saint Francis Xavier"
• A Hermeneutic of Continuity
• Faith in the Year of Faith: The Early Proposal of Joseph Ratzinger
• "I Haven’t Killed Anyone!" What Serious Sins Will Exclude Us From the Kingdom of God?
• New: Figuring out the Church: Her Marks, and Her Masters by Aidan Nichols, OP
• And much more!