Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.” (Anon)
- Do not be guided by your feelings and emotions. (Your feelings may be the worst enemy of good habits)
- Do what is right. (Have the courage to do the right thing, even if it is unpopular or difficult)
- Do what needs doing now, not tomorrow. (Don’t procrastinate)
- Do what you do to the best of your ability. (Don’t settle for less than excellence, even in small tasks)
- Do what you do for the right reason. (Don’t act out of jealousy, anger, malice, etc.)
- Do not cut corners. (Most tragedies– the Shuttle explosion, the BP disaster - occur when someone takes a short cut, and doesn’t “completely” do their job)
- Do choose wisely. (Habits are choices, and no one else is responsible for your habits)
- Do discipline yourself. (While we should not delay in doing tasks, we should learn to delay our gratification – as in saving for retirement, not eating a dessert that has more calories than the meal, etc.)
- Do enjoy what you do. (Although it requires effort to do your best, you will reap the rewards that only come from giving it your best effort)
- Do what you do “heartily” and “mightily”: